What if Mama was Gay?
The title of this piece is in itself the title of the chapter of the book from which I got the inspiration to pen this down. For plagiarism sake I quote here the title; ON BECOMING A GOD by AREEB MALIK SHABAZZ. I will however advice against reading this book unless you have the mental capacity to absorb and digest hate without letting it consume you.
I often wondered why anyone would chose to be a homosexual and if it was a wrong choice at that? I have been made to believe homosexuality was unnatural (by science and religion) but as to whether it was wrong is another issue. After careful thought, I see the logic behind embracing homosexuality. This however does not mean i encourage, indulge in, nor totally accept it, i have just developed a holistic understanding of it.
The majority of heterosexuals hate homosexuals.Why does this hatred prevail? Is it because they fear that one day they might also become homosexuals?
History teaches us that the people to whom we owe modern art and literature and DEMOCRACY (the Greeks), widely accepted and respected homosexuality as the norm. They believed that if you loved your fellow man, you should be able to lay with him as you would a woman, and vice versa.
How can anyone really hate homosexuals if you believe yourself to be a reflection of God, Who loved all, forgave all, and gave mercy to all? What if you Mama was gay, would you hate her? Would you love her less? The woman who has loved you unconditionally since birth, is being homosexual the condition that you can not accept?
What if you were gay? Would you want to be known for who you were and your contributions to life rather than as " that homosexual"? What about a life and death situation? Would you prefer the best heart surgeon who is gay or the average doctor who is straight to operate on you?
We as a people have become so homophobic that we are afraid to show affection to the same sex (especially the men). We have become enslaved by homophobia, afraid of what people will say that father's have stopped kissing their sons and friends can't even hug. I say, let us kiss, hug, show that we are human and capable of emotion.
Martin Luther King prayed for a time that No Man would be judged by the color of their skin, I pray for a time that we extend tolerance across race and sexuality.
Comments
Post a Comment