Beware the lure of the Dark side

I find, like most creatives, that some of my best ideas present during depressive episodes. I must mention that the best ideas generally come when one is removed from reality, a sort of sabbatical from the mundane. So ideas may come from chemically altered realities such as when one is on recreational drugs. Natural states or conditions may also present such altered reality states that allow the creative juices to flow. One of such natural states is depression.

I accidentally realized this when I first started writing poetry. I had read somewhere that writing is therapeutic and I was having difficulty navigating the world as a hormonal 12 year old. Discovering I could pen-down words that ebb and grow, moving the heart through eyes and ears; that was amazing enough. Then I discovered that these words of mine grew darker, more elegant, more visceral and daunting the more depressed I was. My therapy, the outlet of a cornucopia of my emotions, negative as they presented, revealed beautiful and moving art that spoke the truth about despair. Never had darkness been so beautiful.

And it wasn't just the darkness that was beautiful. In my attempt to write my way out of depression, more beauty ensued. Elements of hope and transformation, love and determination, elements which were otherwise lost in my depressive state, emerged in my writings. I even managed to find the humor in the hopelessness of it all.

As they tend to do, depressive states are not without end. Going back on my thoughts in those states and how out of worldly the art was, there is a tendency to see the art as a silver lining in  an onslaught of tornadoes. We never know whether our self will survive this psychological whirlwind but we are deceived into believing that the beauty it inadvertently produced is worth it. We are asked not to look a gift horse in the mouth but the people of Troy would beg to differ.

Far more than usual, I see a path towards embracing my depressive state as a means to create art, instead of working on bettering my mental health. This is a pattern that some creatives with mental health issues may also be facing. We become unwitting martyrs to the Muses, sacrificing our mental health for a chance to be worthy of her gifts.

Now I come to the writing table fully aware. Each time, I have to ask myself if I am chasing darkness or clawing my way out of it. It is a coin toss most days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short or Long

HOW HUMANISTS CAN HELP SHAPE THE FUTURE - A beginner’s guide from a beginner

My Father’s Sun